Pages

WONDERFULLY CRAZY

A space where family, friends and anyone else can follow our adventures. We are a homeschooling, crafting, music-making, back-flipping wonderfully crazy family living on the coast of Maine enjoying everything life has to offer us!

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Another Chair Re-do

So I have been loving the Alabama Studio Style book.  So many fun projects for me to play with.  This one though came together oh so perfectly...
I came across this chair for $5 recently and knew exactly what I had to do!  I've had a pile of Greg's old white t-shirts sitting in my craffice for a while now.  I figured I'd just turn them into rags, but after reading my new book I found a much better use for them.  I threw them all in the wash with some Scarlet dye and and cut them into strips!
These little "cotton jersey pulls" as they are called in the book will have many uses I know.  I made this necklace for myself just while I was cutting strips!  Guess what everyone is getting for Christmas:)
Just three pulls tied together with some wooden beads I had around (of course red and turquoise as I am obsessed with the color combo right now).  Cool huh!

OK back to the chair:

 Ta Da!  I put two coats of paint on the chair and after it dried I wove the pulls through the seat.
The directions are clearly laid out in the book, but really it was like making a giant pot holder (remember your pot holder loom from the 70s).  I made the weft from front to back and wove from side to side.   The book has you leave your little tied ends like a bit of fringe and I have to say I love it.  I actually added a few here and there just to even things out.
Molly helped a bunch and we both really enjoyed the process.
Even  Tucker is proud!  I can't believe how much I love this chair.  I want to make another, it's sturdy and functional while seeming a bit like a piece of art!  I'll be on the lookout for broken down ladder back chairs in need of a little love.

1 comment:

  1. Such a fab idea! I'm tempted to do something similar to a chair I've got... thanks for posting!:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear comments and try to answer any questions so feel free to tell me what's on your mind!