Pages

WONDERFULLY CRAZY

A space where family, friends and anyone else can follow our adventures. We are a homeschooling, crafting, music-making, back-flipping wonderfully crazy family living on the coast of Maine enjoying everything life has to offer us!

Monday, August 20, 2012

A Quilt

A while ago I mentioned my urge to make a quilt.  I've experimented a bit with the pillows, but I decided it was time to take the plunge!  Actually it was a mutual decision with my good friend at Dragonfly Farm.  She and I have been talking about it for a while So when Alwives had a big sale recently we planned a beach day with the kiddos that just happened to drive us right by...
 After much shopping, hemming and hawing and redirecting 3 very bored little boys we both decided on Amy Butler fat quarter packs.  I'm using Lark and I must say I'm head over heals in love.  I've got to get more of the Chinese lanterns (above left), I think that the Washi dress would look great in this print!  But one thing at a time folks.  Right?
This is what my squares will look like.  No particular order or pattern, just totally random.   I've got everything cut and the rectangles on the left side of the square are sewn together (yay)!  We went to Dragonfly farm for dinner last night and my lovely friend is WAY ahead of me...she likes to keep me on my toes that girl!  Of course I am thankful, without her enthusiasm it is quite possible that that project could end up in a pile lost in the craffice.  I'm excited and a bit nervous, already I've realized that I cut all my pieces out w/out thinking about a seam allowance...oops, probably quilting 101, but since I haven't taken that class nor am I using a pattern, mistakes will be made, I will learn from them and hopefully my new quilt will be finished this fall when the weather turns a bit colder.
 Of course every time I get my things out to work on, these crazy kids of mine want to get sewing something of their own.

And who am I to say no to  a little creativity.  So I have a feeling a few get together with homegrown food and fun will be in order so we can finish these not so little projects we have started.


3 comments:

  1. Ooooo, I am excited for you! I am toying with taking a quilting class this fall (thinking I need to pressure to get it done). Those are some beautiful vibrant fabrics - I'm sure I've seen chinese lanterns before...Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you and your quilt! I can't wait to see how it comes up. Happy sewing. Jacinta

    ReplyDelete
  3. a new quilt sounds exciting! I hope you post your progress :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear comments and try to answer any questions so feel free to tell me what's on your mind!