Pages

WONDERFULLY CRAZY

A space where family, friends and anyone else can follow our adventures. We are a homeschooling, crafting, music-making, back-flipping wonderfully crazy family living on the coast of Maine enjoying everything life has to offer us!

Monday, January 24, 2011

Staying warm and feeling blessed

On staying warm:
It's down-right cold here on the coast of Maine today...a whopping 3 degrees above zero at 1:00 in the afternoon!  When Greg brought the doggies out this morning it was -9!  Apparently they did their necessities and quickly ran inside to the wood stove. 
It's hard to do anything but snuggle next to the fire and drink tea.  Funny how our little family seems to migrate each winter, we spend less and less time anywhere in our old drafty house but the living room with our wonderfully warm wood stove.  We started burning the Eco wood bricks exclusively 2 years ago and couldn't be happier.  These amazing little things burn hotter than wood, they are clean, create less creosote and ash and they are 100% recycled!  Not to mention that putting away a ton takes about 10 minutes compared to the whole day to stack a cord of wood.  The only way I see us ever going back to cord wood is if we get that big piece of land in Vermont and have plenty of free wood around:)

sipping tea

wood bricks

more than I would normally pile in, but it's cold!


On feeling blessed:
This was my "work weekend"  which means that every 3 weeks I work at the hospital on Saturday and Sunday from 3am-3pm.  This also means that I go to bed at around 7pm to get enough sleep to function leaving me very little time with my family.  Don't get me wrong I am in no way complaining I am extremely fortunate that I can work this little because my husband works so hard.  I also love my job, I help amazing, strong, beautiful women bring new babies into the worldFor the most part (about 99.9% of the time) my job is joyous and profound...of course that .1 is unspeakable and that without needing any more detail is why as my post says I am feeling blessed.  becoming a mother is a profound unforgettable unimaginable experience that we all to often take for granted.  Hard labor, easy labor, c/s whatever the story when you're children are 9 and 10 and puberty hormones start circling around your home like a tornado it's easy to get frustrated and wish for more peace and quiet, or a vacation.  This weekend however, I felt nothing but blessed to have these healthy, happy, wonderful children and vow to try and remember that.
Enjoy your children, love them lots and know that you are blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Amen. It's colder here. Like A LOT colder. Like 22 below on my way to work this morning. But amen just the same. Just back from a long glorious weekend away from my beloved kidlets and I am also feeling very fortunate for my life...all of it. And for you, my sweet sistah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah Anne, I remember living in VT and checking the weather in Maine, it was always a little warmer...I'll still take VT:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear comments and try to answer any questions so feel free to tell me what's on your mind!