Pages

WONDERFULLY CRAZY

A space where family, friends and anyone else can follow our adventures. We are a homeschooling, crafting, music-making, back-flipping wonderfully crazy family living on the coast of Maine enjoying everything life has to offer us!

Monday, February 7, 2011

The first wool project

What an amazing weekend!  We had another huge snowstorm at the end of last week then we were blessed with a beautiful weekend!  We spent so much of it outside sledding and building snow forts.  There was even night sledding with the help of headlamps.
I know, get a camera!
Greg and Molly laying at the "jump" before Corey goes down


 Of course I did manage to find a little time to start working with all that great wool we got.  Molly and I decided what she needed was a wool vest.  It's not quit finished as I can't seem to decided what to do with the edging, but it's great so far. The Owls that Molly has been cutting out  became perfect appliques.  As is the usual method for me I was "winging it" with this pattern.  I took some rough measurements on Miss Molly and came up with a simple little plan:
the "pattern"

arms

getting just the right length

Hoot

What's a vest without a pocket
 I must say I'm pleased it is absolutely adorable.  However, I'm a bit perplexed with the edging,  Being felted wool technically it doesn't need anything, but...It looks well, unfinished.  I'm considering a simple blanket stitch, but perhaps some sort of fabric binding or ribbon is more appropriate...hmmmmm.
the vest (minus some edging)

a little mama signature
If you've got any suggestions I'd love to hear them as I am a bit stumped.  In the meantime we start our school week (tune in for some valentines crafts) and I have a goal of finally taking some pictures to start posting on an etsy shop that I've been putting off for quite a while now.  Enjoy your Monday.


3 comments:

  1. Sweet! I struggled with edging too when I made my first felted vest...I ended up needled felting a border all the way around. I'll send you a pic if you are interested. Michelle@ www.mainelyhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how lovely- I love the sweet felted vests!
    I hear ya on the edging. I personally love a good blanket stitch all the way around in wool yarn. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty and cozy looking, I really like the color and the heart "mama signature" you added. I'd probably blanket stitch it or just zip all the way around the edge with my sewing machine to be quick.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear comments and try to answer any questions so feel free to tell me what's on your mind!