Pages

WONDERFULLY CRAZY

A space where family, friends and anyone else can follow our adventures. We are a homeschooling, crafting, music-making, back-flipping wonderfully crazy family living on the coast of Maine enjoying everything life has to offer us!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

a valentine skirt and learing to sew

Molly has been busily working on some owl and heart appliques as of late and really wanting to try her hand at the big bad sewing machine.  She has been hand stitching for a few years and enjoyed a short stint with one of those little plastic kids sewing machines, but she has been ready for the "real" machine for a while and she finally got a chance last night.
a little practice first

the owl pillow she made

pillow back
 The pride she had making this was too cute for words.  So darned pleased with herself!  Next she wanted to know what we should do with the heart applique she had just cut out and sewed. hmmmmmm...I thought, I remembered having stumbled across the Lazy Days SkirtI think I used it to make a doll dress for her years ago. The appliques she's been making are also from stash, either simple cottons I've picked up and a few lovely fat quarters from an etsy seller I've recently discovered Fresh Squeezed Fabric (I'm a sucker for the fat quarter...so many uses).    I love when we can get creative with things we already have around the house in one of the many bins.  Of course a trip to Alewives fabric is always most fun!  I feel very fortunate to live close to this amazing fabric store.  Anyway, here is the lovely skirt, not on as we are currently being buried in very large amounts of snow, but soon she'll be twirling all around in it I'm sure! from Oliver & S recently and suggested we put it on a valentines day skirt!  What a great idea, she loves it SO much and is planning several more (next will be an owl applique like the pillow).  The fabric for the skirt was perfect, something I've had hanging around in my fabric stash for years. 
so darling

look at that sweet heart
It is such a blast to create and collaborate with my children.  We're off to do more appliques, stay tuned! 

What are you making now?

4 comments:

  1. I love the skirt! I am going to learn how to sew soon, my mom gave me her sewing machine and she's going to teach me, seeing the skirt motivated me just a little more.... i got a pattern and some adorable fabric at Z fabrics to make a little dress for Claire, can't wait. I'll have to check out alewives fabrics sometime

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bekah just say the word! You and Claire can field trip up to the midcoast and we'll got to Halcyon yarn AND Alewives! Amy and Theona can come and we'll make a day of it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly is too cute - and tell her I am super impressed with her sewing skills! Awesome projects!
    I taught my big girls some hand sewing here yesterday. They did great and it was so much fun! Maybe I'll show them this post for further inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear comments and try to answer any questions so feel free to tell me what's on your mind!