Pages

WONDERFULLY CRAZY

A space where family, friends and anyone else can follow our adventures. We are a homeschooling, crafting, music-making, back-flipping wonderfully crazy family living on the coast of Maine enjoying everything life has to offer us!

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Fun with Chemistry

As I mentioned before we have been using the Chemistry from Real Science 4 kids for our science lessons.  I must say I like the program so far, text, labs, reviews, the whole deal.  Everyone is having fun.  So this week we are learning about molecules and how they are put together.  The lab has a great little ditty on marshmallow molecules, however my dear sweet little vegetarian Molly was having none of that!  After all "they are made with gelatin and that comes from cows" she informed me.  That's OK I say!  The amazing, awesome, super wholesome, homeschooling, handcrafting mama extraordinaire that I am will make home-made marshmallows with no animal byproducts and NO high fructose corn syrup.

Then life took over as it does sometimes.  The busy, gotta-get-this-done and move on mama that I also am went down to the store and bought some gross candy gumdrops, made from who knows what (I opted not to analyze the ingredients).




In the end it wasn't has wholesome as I had envisioned, but they seem to have a solid grasp on ionic vs covalent bonds.  The understand the rules that atoms follow to bond and that the shape of the molecules have rules to.  We had fun, learned a bunch (in our school uniform of pajamas) and no animals were harmed.  Oh and I can move on from this unit finally!
I DO plan on mastering the home-made marshmallow for our annual camping trip so if anyone knows a good recipe send it my way please.

7 comments:

  1. Looked like fun!

    as for marshmallows, I read this post by Emily Martin:
    http://theblackapple.typepad.com/inside_a_black_apple/2008/12/its-a-marshmall.html

    and have made them since. They are divine. In the post she links to this recipe:
    http://www.marthastewart.com/333971/homemade-marshmallows?autonomy_kw=marshmallows&rsc=header_10

    hope it helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I come do chemistry with you!?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love homeschooling?!
    For marshmellow's I use:

    http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/06/springy-fluffy-marshmallows/

    They have never failed and with a little hot water the clean up is easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Homemade marshmallows are AWESOME! I use this recipe http://homesteadinghousewife.blogspot.com/2008/12/homemade-marshmallows.html

    But if you are looking for gelatin-free, Whole Foods sells some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bless your sweet vegetarian!
    Oh, homemade marshmallows. I keep wanting to try them...I hope you share your marshmallow success!
    Looks like fun! I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to resist snacking on a few of those gross candy gumdrops....wholesome or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the marshmallow links, I'll let you all know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear comments and try to answer any questions so feel free to tell me what's on your mind!