Pages

WONDERFULLY CRAZY

A space where family, friends and anyone else can follow our adventures. We are a homeschooling, crafting, music-making, back-flipping wonderfully crazy family living on the coast of Maine enjoying everything life has to offer us!

Monday, October 3, 2011

Autumn Adventuring

Every day I am reminded how fortumate we are to live in such a beautiful corner of the world.  It makes days like this really easy.  We are surrounded by ocean marshes so a quick drive brought us to this lovely spot!

plank walkways keep your feet dry when walking through the marsh

gorgeous leaves to bring home for a project (a leaf bunting from The Rhythm of Family, I'll probably save that for another post)

A horse shoe crab shell (which led to a lovely little report and presentation about them)

some super cool mushrooms (perfect as we are talking about the 5 kingdoms in our science unit right now)


of course the planks don't help when the tide comes in! 
Another day we took a drive in a different direction and there was more fun to be had. Not far from our house is one of Maine's many forts built to defend the coast during wars such as the Spanish American war, civil war and world war 1.  The kids never tire of the adventures at these historic spots, and hey we're learning right?  One could call our adventures school field trips.

sword-fighting

The open space in the middle is perfect for a bit of gymnastics for my girl

lots of places to hide and explore

It's rainy and chilly today so our adventures may stay right in the house, but I know we have learned and will continue to learn so much from these lovely and magical adventures. 

6 comments:

  1. That is my favorite way to learn and the children never even realize it! We have a lot of Civil War forts here that are fun to explore. The fort in your pictures is amazing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do live in a wonderful part of the world. The number of times my children mention a nature find or historic fact that is remembered from a long ago day out... I've lost count. It has to be the best way to learn. Yah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking us on a fun adventure! Hope you get a few more autumn adventures in before winter arrives. Jacinta x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That marsh walk looks like so much fun! I would love to visit your corner of the world again...but since I was only 3 the last time I don't think it counts ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos and it looks like you indeed have a wonderful adventure. I'm always reminding myself that I will never take the beauty of where I live for granted so I understand exactly what you wrote in your first sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are very lucky to live where we do! We haven't ventured to many of the forts yet, but we should because I think the kids would find them fascinating.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear comments and try to answer any questions so feel free to tell me what's on your mind!