Pages

WONDERFULLY CRAZY

A space where family, friends and anyone else can follow our adventures. We are a homeschooling, crafting, music-making, back-flipping wonderfully crazy family living on the coast of Maine enjoying everything life has to offer us!

Monday, February 13, 2012

More Chemistry








Well, not much "school" last week, a lot of time was spent out of the house while the floors were being replaced (I'll post pictures later, the camera is visiting friends).  They look fantastic and I do feel some home dec projects coming on so stay tuned! 
We really have been enjoying the chemistry lessons, it seems each experiment gets just a bit more fun.  The mess is getting a bit more as well, but clean up is manageable. We made our own acid base indicator from coffee filters and red cabbage!  How cool is that?  I know all you savvy home school moms out there have probably done this tons of times, but I was as excited as the kids that this actually works! We boiled red cabbage for about 20 minutes and let the resulting purple water cool to room temp.  Next we wet some strips of coffee filter with the liquid and let that dry.  Well, let me just tell you that dipping these little strips in our control base (ammonia) turned them green and the control acid (vinegar) turned bright pink!
Like I said I was a bit doubtful so my excitement matched the kids for sure.  Of course we had lots of others to try and the whole day was  a blast.  Molly really enjoys writing out her conclusions in her lab book, Corey not so much, he just wants more experiments, but all in all it's a grand old time had by all!
We have a jar of left over cabbage liquid in the fridge that will be used for this weeks experiment as we start to talk about acid base neutralization and titration.  Should be fun. 
How was your week/weekend?  Any fun science going on?

4 comments:

  1. ang! this is awesome.. having been in high school with you, i remember how horrible and boring we thought certain classes were and i am getting such a kick out of listening to you talk about the experiments and how exciting it is for you all!! this is what it's all about!!!thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rajel if I only can hope my kiddos are having as much fun learning as I am (this time around anyway).

      Delete
  2. I miss all the fun experiments this year, but next year is Biology so there are more in my future. I can't wait to see your floors, I bet they're lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see your floors too! I love when we get to spruce things up a bit, even if it is just a coat of paint! :)

    We had an accidental science experiment in the garage. Does that count? LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear comments and try to answer any questions so feel free to tell me what's on your mind!